DEPARTMENT: Affordable Housing
POSTING NUMBER: 20-55
REPORTS TO: Manager, Housing Services
SUPERVISES: Tenant Support Workers, Practicum Students, Interns, Volunteers
HOURS: Monday to Friday; Regular business hours
START: November 1st, 2020
As part of the Affordable Housing Services department, this position is responsible for coordination and delivery of support services, outreach / engagement, and community-building initiatives for tenants in The Bloom Group’s Affordable Housing portfolio. Primarily based at Nicholson Tower in the West End, but with responsibilities at two other sites located in the DTES, the incumbent will work closely with Housing Coordinators at each site in support of both individual tenant supports as well to develop and facilitate community-building initiatives. The role will also be responsible for developing and maintaining partnerships with community-based organizations, in order to increase and enhance programming, resident engagement opportunities and access to services and resources.
EDUCATION/PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree in social/human services, social work or other relevant field, with emphasis on gerontology, mental health and addictions issues a plus.
- Five (5) year’s experience working in social housing, residential services, community mental health/addictions or in a related area.
- Certificate/Diploma from a recognized social housing management, social services, or mental health and addictions support program an asset.
- Knowledge of strengths-based, recovery, and harm reduction principles and practices in mental health care and addictions
- Demonstrated skills in conflict resolution, negotiation, and group facilitation
- Demonstration of advanced interpersonal skills specific to the role including de-briefing, active listening, de-escalation techniques, one to one direct support and problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to participate and contribute in a strong team environment with an inclusive and collaborative approach
- Good leadership skills
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and act with a high degree of independent judgement, taking action on a variety of matters as required
- Ability to work in a stressful and changing work environment.
- Ability to work with, and empathize with people experiencing abuse, poverty, family violence, acute and/or historical trauma, cross-cultural issues, addictions, AIDS, and other life-limiting illnesses, mental illness, and the grief process.
- Ability to operate basic computer programs, MS Windows environment, MS Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to be self-reflective and committed to own professional development
- Ability to foster a working environment of collaboration, skill, collegiality, and enthusiasm
- Ability to travel between sites on a regular basis
The Bloom Group is actively recruiting through the current Covid-19 pandemic. Successful candidates will be provided with the training and equipment to safely carry out their duties, ensuring the best protection for our staff and clients.
Date Posted: October 9, 2020
Deadline for submission: Vacant until filled
Open to: Internal & External Applicants
Thank you for your interest in a career with The Bloom Group.
Should your application be selected for further consideration we will be in contact with you shortly.