POSITION: Shelter Support Worker
DEPARTMENT: Women and Children’s Services
POSTING NUMBER: 23-44
SALARY: $30.64 – $32.31
STATUS: Part-Time: (Friday-Sat Springhouse Sunday-Monday Powell Place 12-8am)
The Shelter Support Worker facilitates day-to-day communal living among residents of the Women and Children’s program through the provision of emotional support, information, referrals and advocacy. The incumbent will act in accordance with The Bloom Group philosophy and provide low barrier harm reduction trauma informed support and assistance to women and children in crisis.
EDUCATION/PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma in Community Social Services, Social Service Work or other relevant human services field is required, an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Two years recent related work experience providing support to women and/or children in crisis within a residential setting is required; two years recent experience in a related field such as a women’s advocacy, women’s shelters, women’s transitional housing or second stage housing may be considered
- Level 1 Occupational First Aid Certificate is required
- Mandt training is required
- Food Safe Certificate is required
- WHMIS training is required
- Gender is a bona fide occupational requirement: self-identifying women only applicants please.
- We are particularly interested in receiving applications from women who reflect the diversity of the women who access our services: Indigenous and Racialized Women strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbally
- Demonstration of advanced interpersonal skills specific to the role including de-briefing, active listening, conflict resolution, group facilitation, one to one direct support and problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to participate and contribute in a strong team environment with an inclusive and collaborative approach
- Strong ability to work under minimal supervision and act with a high degree of independent judgement, taking action on a variety of matters as required
- Strong working knowledge of child welfare and protection issues, including relevant legislation and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience providing parenting support, incorporating a women centered, culturally sensitive, strength based approach
- Proven ability to work with a high degree of compassion, understanding and sensitivity
- Demonstrated ability to provide non-judgmental, client-centered, non-therapeutic emotional and practical support to women and children in crisis
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Demonstrated commitment to continual learning and improvement through the incorporation of reflective work-based learning approaches
- Knowledge and understanding of the complex issues which affect women and children in poverty, with a demonstrated awareness of specific issues facing aboriginal women, women of colour, ageing women and women with disabilities
- Proven ability to work in a stressful and changing work environment
- Demonstrated experience or training in conflict resolution, de-escalation and risk assessment
- Demonstrated ability to support individuals with mental health and substance use issues, utilising a harm reduction approach and working within a trauma informed care model
- Ability to work and empathize with people who may have experienced abuse, poverty, grief and loss, oppression, violence, mental health challenges, addictions issues or may be living with HIV/AIDS and other life-limiting or life-threatening conditions
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position, experience operating related equipment and ability to effectively use industrial grade cleaning products
Posted: August 28, 2023,
Deadline for submission: September 4, 2023 for internal applications or vacant until filled
OPEN TO: INTERNAL AND EXTERNALLY
Thank you for your interest in a career with The Bloom Group.
Should your application be selected for further consideration we will be in contact with you shortly.