POSITION: Control and Compliance Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Adult Guardianship
POSTING NUMBER: 19-66
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance and Corporate Services
DURATION: October 28, 2019 to May 1, 2020 (or return of incumbent)
STATUS: Temporary Full Time
START: October 28, 2019
Since 1998 our Adult Guardianship program has managed the income of low-income individuals who are no longer able to care for their own financial needs. It is the only service in BC of its kind, apart from Public Guardian & Trustee of BC.
Most of our clients are seniors who have chosen our program to administer their pensions. Many have physical and/or mental constraints to managing their money and/or are vulnerable to financial abuse. Some clients are referred by community service providers and have been medically certified as incapable of managing their finances.
Each client has direct access to an Adult Guardianship Worker who administers their account and provides personalized and responsive care and services:
We are looking for a Control and Compliance Specialist who can further strengthen the support to the client base and position the Program for continued and sustainable growth.
As a Control and Compliance Specialist, you will:
- Provide assurance and independent review of client balances.
- Perform control testing on active accounts to ensure the integrity of transactions and client account balances.
- Partnering with Adult Guardianship Workers, provide recommendations for increasing account administration efficiencies.
- Maintenance and enhancements of program controls and policies to reduce the risk of any errors or misappropriation of funds occurring within individual accounts.
- Provide support on the investigation of any program complaints.
- An investigative analyzer – You enjoy reviewing information and detecting anomalies. You get great satisfaction out of investigating and resolving these discrepancies that you find.
- A business & compliance professional in the financial industry – You have in depth knowledge and experience of how business operates within the financial industry. You have the knowledge of the concepts, practices and techniques within this field.
- An effective communicator – Using your impactful communication and interpersonal skills, you act as a resource for the specialized area, providing specialized advice, guidance, explanations, and related support; working with the
- A problem solver & decision maker –
- Bachelor or advanced degree in Business &/or related field with a strong understanding of accounting principles.
- Minimum 5 years of advanced experience in compliance, operational risk management, business process management or financial services.
- Knowledge of the Compliance Risk Assessment process.
- Knowledge of regulatory expectations, standards of compliance with applicable rules/legislation.
- Demonstrated understanding of regulatory compliance and/or risk management policies and procedures.
- Experience working with CRMs and Sage 300 or other accounting software.
- Experience working with FICOMM and/or Public Guardian Trustee would be considered an asset.
In this role, you will report into the Director of Finance and Corporate Services, whom has Program oversight of the Adult Guardianship program and reports, in partnership with the Executive Director, to the Audit Committee.
About The Bloom Group:
Our vision is a strong and resilient community where all persons have a stable home and the support to live healthy lives with self-determination.
The Bloom Group responds to the most urgent needs of Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. We embrace transformative solutions for resolving pressing and complex challenges. We fill the gaps in areas that are critical to building a resilient community.
Since 1961, The Bloom Group has led many of our community’s most progressive social services to reduce homelessness, provide end-of-life care for individuals with mental health challenges and addictions, ensure women-led families in crisis can stay together as they rebuild their lives, and much more. Our ‘low-barrier’ services are inclusive and available to all individuals in need, regardless of their circumstances, and without conditions. Our broad and positive impact is a reflection of our staff’s hard work and dedication.
We must find solutions to end poverty and homelessness. Our services meet the immediate needs of individuals, while systematically building a foundation that strengthens community sustainability. We put ideas into practice, implementing innovative, yet practical and scalable initiatives that redefine possibilities and catalyze long-lasting change. We collaborate with a wide circle of partners to share expertise and resources and affect broad change that would not be possible in isolation.