POSITION: Manager, Hospice Services
DEPARTMENT: Hospice – May’s Place & Cottage Hospice
POSTING NUMBER: 20-34
REPORTS TO: Associate Executive Director
SUPERVISES: Care Coordinator and Program Staff
HOURS Monday – Friday (Business Hours) – with some flexibility
The Bloom Group Community Services Society is seeking a community and program development focused manager for our Hospice Services. As manager you will successfully lead and manage people, programs and services in order to meet the needs of the community, clients and stakeholders.
As the first operator of a community based hospice in British Columbia The Bloom Group is very dedicated to the provision of end of life care particularly for those who face complex barriers to accessing end of life services and support. May’s was Western Canada’s first free-standing hospice and remains the only hospice in the Downtown Eastside. May’s Place specializes in providing care to individuals with mental health and substance use challenges. Cottage Hospice offers the peaceful environment of a 1924 heritage building located in Burrard View Park for patients to receive end of life care and support.
The Manager is responsible for ensuring the performance and development of the Hospice program. The incumbent ensures that these services operate within continuous quality improvement frameworks, human resource management best practices, and Society financial and administrative protocols, and represents the program with Licensing. The manager will develop and evolve the program to ensure community relevance and address evolving needs. Reducing barriers to service increasing access for individuals with Mental Health and/or substance use challenges is key. The incumbent supervises the Care Coordinator, and supervises program staff in collaboration with the Care Coordinator, providing case management expertise, mentoring and coaching support, and ensuring accountability to defined goals and objectives. As part of the Senior Management Team, the Manager also plays a central role in helping develop and implement the strategic direction of the program, and representing it to external stakeholders. Working with the end of life care systems, developing community relationships and strong program development skills are essential.
EDUCATION/PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (Nursing, Social Work, Health/Public Administration) plus three years recent experience in a palliative, acute, or community health care setting
- Ten years’ experience at a program management level in health or social services, including staff supervision, budget management, and stakeholder relations
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector is an asset, as is experience in program development
- An equivalent combination of education, experience and training may be considered
- Knowledge of best practice in the care of vulnerable individuals with terminal illness, including those with complex social/health challenges in an urban community. Knowledge of community and/or residential service development and management preferable
- Knowledge of program development and evaluation methods. Experience of accreditation processes and programs preferable
- Exceptional leadership and coaching skills, with experience facilitating significant change management/development projects
- Ability and willingness to work flexibly and towards common goals within a leadership team structure
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with broad range of stakeholders.
- Ability to empathize and work with people who have experienced abuse, poverty, and/or family violence, addictions issues, and other life-limiting illnesses, mental illness, and multiple losses
- Ability to be self-reflective in constructing egalitarian practices and collegial relationships
- Ability to consider and construct practices which acknowledge and incorporate the experiences of persons who are marginalized on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, economic status, language, culture, age, disability, sexual orientation/identity, and/or gender identity
- Ability to be a leader and consultant for individuals and groups
- Ability to provide guidance, coaching, and supervision
- Ability to assist in the development of professional and leadership skills of the staff
- Ability to synthesize and utilize research findings to promote best practice
Date Posted: May 27, 2020
Deadline for submission: Vacant until filled
Open to: Internal & External Applicants
The Bloom Group is actively recruiting through the current Covid-19 pandemic. Successful candidates will be provided with the training and equipment to safely carry out their duties, ensuring the best protection for our staff and clients.